Top questions to ask a tax preparer
So here we are, 2017. A new year and a fresh start. There is just one little thing we need to remember about 2016: how much money we made (or lost) and to let Uncle Sam know about it. That’s right — tax returns.
If you currently have a tax professional helping you – that’s great. If you need to find one, be sure you ask them questions and understand exactly what their service provides for you. For example, there is a difference between a tax preparer and a CPA who does tax returns.
Forbes recently listed the top 12 questions to ask a tax preparer:
- Do you have a PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number)?
- What is your tax background?
- Have you prepared a (fill in the blank) tax return before?
- Do you know the requirements of the state and locality where I am required to file?
- What records and other documentation will you need from me?
- How do you determine your fee?
- What about the extras?
- Can I file electronically?
- Who will sign my return?
- When will I receive a copy of my return?
- How do I find you if I have a question once tax season is over?
- What happens if I get audited?
For more information, contact Marge Cirillo, Florida Small Business Development Council consultant for St. Johns County, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (904) 209-1295.
Comments are Closed